Monday, March 29, 2010

It's a Wonder I Stayed In Public Education!

When I was a new teacher, I wanted to find the key to unlocking success within my students. My desire was to teach them how to become learners. So, I start breaking down the parameters on how students learn. I wanted to know where my students fell off the beam.

Starting with the psychologist, I asked questions. I wanted to know what could I do in the classroom for the processing deficits of my students. I received blah, blah answers that sounded like the teacher’s voice on Charlie Brown.

I was not satisfied, somewhere, someone was trying to lessen these problem for challenged learners; I wanted to be part of the solution. I still needed to learn more about everything, I found educational areas of innovation and best practice. I turned no idea down I was open to learning.

This upset some of my colleagues. Why? I have no idea. Rocking the boat. Doing too much.
Of course, when I wanted to create, utilize innovation and attend conferences or workshops I had to go to the ADMINISTRATION. The administration makes decisions about taking time off work, what fund a substitute teacher’s pay is allocated and registration fees before attendance or implementation takes place. Like Hollywood, I have to go pitch my idea and plan of action. Well, I’ve had some pitches go well and some let’s just say you be the judge.

I've been told many things throughout the years. Here are a few are actual statements from ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF:
• That's great, we don't have money for that
• That's great, ask Title I to pay for it
• Ok we will pay your sub but not the conference, hotel, material, etc
• Sorry there is no money
• Why are you doing this?

With these kinds of responses it’s a wonder why I continued on. I did continue on and over 90% of my training and expertise in education has come from my own resources. Yes, my own pocket. The school system did not care how much of my own money I spent as long as they were not spending it. Here’s a question for you. How many teachers today are updated on best practices in education?

Not many. If the teacher is waiting for the school to pay, they can keep waiting. Don’t believe me ask your kid’s teacher the last conference, innovative lecture or new software training they have been to. The answer won’t be pretty in public school. How can we be better if we don’t use better tools and paradigms? Learn the learner; know the learner, teach the learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment