Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Teacher Do You Care- The Pete Chronicles



Even with a dedicated teacher the educational system has failed Pete. He has spent too much time alone. Lonely repetitive scripts are Pete’s default nowadays. Pete has retreated into himself for comfort and protection. The brief connections I have with Pete are followed by continued soothing scripts.



It takes a village to raise a child and I did not have a village to assist me with connecting to Pete. As my workload increased, I was pulled away from my engagement with Pete. When I finally saw him he was so withdrawn. I was unable to connect with him for any period of time.


Why does this happen? It is heartbreaking to watch Pete pulled away. Pete is not lost. Constant engagement will bring him back to longer and more meaningful interactions.



I will not give up even though it is very hard to feel helpless. Politically, Pete represents hundreds or even thousands of children in our educational system. I will always fight for these children who are over looked, misplaced and unengaged in learning and social interactions. This is a setback but it is not the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment